Are Pugs Hypoallergenic? Living With A Pug And Allergic

Are Pugs Hypoallergenic? Living With A Pug And Allergic

If you own a Pug and you’re neighbor tells you they’re getting one but want to know are Pugs hypoallergenic, what’s your answer? On the one hand, you want to say, “No, they’re perfect.” Because, of course, they are perfect. Or do you tell her the truth? Because no matter how much you love your pup, they are absolutely not hypoallergenic. The Pug sheds all the time. And masses of hair at that.

In truth, if you are an allergy sufferer, then you should stay away from Pugs for your health’s sake and the Pug’s happy life he would have had by going to a non-allergic home.

Besides, you have to do a lot of research to find the dog most suitable for your circumstances if you are determined to get a puppy. There are dogs that allergy sufferers can tolerate, and you need to find out which of those could be for you.

What Is An Hypoallergenic Dog?

First, let’s just say that there is no such thing as a truly 100% hypoallergenic dog from the off. Allergens are mostly protein particles. If you find yourself allergic to dogs, it may well be the proteins coming from the dog’s saliva and dander.

When a dog is grooming himself, he will lick his fur. The saliva then dries, and when he gives himself a fair old shake, as all dogs do, it releases the proteins into the air.

What is an hypoallergenic dog

Your body has an allergic reaction because of an immune response to those allergens from the dog’s saliva and dander.

So, even if a dog was utterly hairless, you might still develop an immune response.

Living With A Pug And Allergic

If you’re allergic and no-one can dissuade you from having your Pug, then there are steps you can take to reduce the allergens and possible allergic reactions for yourself.

1. Brush Your Pug

Two to three times a week, take your Pug outside and give him a good brush. Brushing like this will release the loose hairs, and brushing outside stops the hair from ending up inside your home. Now, this will not prevent the hair fall; we’re only trying to minimize the loss. Is there someone in your family who can do the brushing for you?

Brush your Pug

2. Bath Him

You can’t bathe a Pug too often. His skin will dry out and get flaky, which will not help your allergy situation. So at a maximum no more than once every two months.

Bath your Pug

3. Clean His Folds

Pugs have creases of skin on their face and folds over the top of their body near the neck. These will collect dirt and grime and become mixed with moisture from saliva. After a while, they will smell because the folds’ conditions make an ideal home for bacteria to thrive. You will need to check and clean these areas often. If they start to smell, you have left them too long. An unscented wet wipe or a moistened cotton swab will do nicely. Don’t forget to dry where you have been cleaning.

4. Vacuum Cleaner

We’re pretty sure you may have one already, but in case you don’t, they are an invaluable tool against the dreaded hair drop. You need one with good suction power because you need to remove the hair from carpets and furniture. If you suffer from allergies, a vacuum cleaner can help you; but vacuum every day.

5. Dust Your Surfaces

Pug hair doesn’t just land on the floor and sofas. It will settle on every bit of furniture and cupboards you have in the house. If your Pug sleeps on your bed (which is a bad idea if you have severe allergies), then you must change sheets and bedding very often.

6. Pug’s Bed

Don’t forget your Pug’s bed and whatever toys and bedding he likes in there with him. We recommend having at least two, but three is better, sets of everything because you will need to take them up and wash them every two, maximum three days.

Pug's bed

7. Air Filter/Purifier

If you suffer from allergies unconnected to a dog, you may already have an air filter or purifier in your home. If not, we suggest one might be very helpful for you. They recommend filters for people suffering from allergies, and a HEPA will be useful to combat Pug dander, dust, and dirt in the air. HEPA filtration can capture particles as small as 0.3 microns.

A micron is roughly 1/25,000 of an inch, and the human eye can detect dust particles in the air if they are 25 microns or larger. Particles between 0.3 and 0.9 microns are harmful to human health because they are too small to be trapped by the tiny hairs lining our breathing passages.

Dust, pollen, pet dander, dust mites, and feces fall within the 0.3 and 0.9 range. Particles of this size invade our lungs and are known to cause a host of severe medical conditions.

8. Wash Your Hands

Any physical contact with your Pug will transfer the allergens to your hands. If you don’t, you will move them to other parts of your body and clothing.

9. Allergy Control Spray

An allergy spray can neutralize allergens. You can use one for your home on carpets, area rugs, and soft furnishings, and they will not harm humans or your pets. One treatment will last up to three months.

10. House Train Your Pug

Your Pug’s urine harbors the protein allergens that cause your reactions, so teaching him to pee and poo outside is essential. If you happen to use a pee pad, our advice is to stop using them and train him to do his business out and preferably away from the house. Don’t forget to pick up his poo.

11. Pugs Are Indoor Dogs

Suffering from severe allergic reactions is no joke; we do understand. But don’t force your Pug to live outside the house. Pugs are indoor dogs; they love their family fiercely. You’ll do untold harm to him emotionally if you won’t allow him inside to live with you.

Pugs are indoor dogs


Can you live with a Pug and have allergies? Yes, you can, and we have given you some ideas on how you can accomplish that. But if you’re asking, are Pugs hypoallergenic? The answer is a resounding no!